How did you research each location

376 人阅读 | 0 人回复

发表于 2022-9-5 16:08:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

本帖最后由 Bkhairul 于 2022-9-5 16:09 编辑

We do a lot of research. Everything always starts with a Google search, doesn't it? It is the easiest way to start. But recently we've been joking that the only communication methods we didn't use when researching this book were Morse code and smoke signals. I remember having a phone call with the great-great-grandson of someone who was part of the story about Camp Shady Brook in Deckers, Colorado. We were on the phone and faxing back and forth with her. I had to locate a fax machine. I don't know when was the last time I saw a fax. We discovered that these settlers had come up and claimed this land. So, we ask ourselves, "Who were the settlers?" After diving into obscure Facebook groups and messaging strangers, we came across the great-granddaughter of one of the people who started this. Today it is a YMCA children's camp.

Wes Anderson wrote the foreword to the book. How did the photo retouching service idea come about? Obviously, we had to give the thumbs up before starting the project for many reasons. He was interested in us continuing with the project, but there was no indication that he was going to be a part of it beyond giving us his blessing. So when we gave him the final copy and he read it, it was the most amazing thing to hear that he would be willing to write a few words. Not only was it the perfect culmination, it was a definite stamp of approval. When we previewed it, when he sent us that email, we were like, "Wow, this is real, this is happening." He not only gives us his blessing , he is very happy with what we have created.

The story behind "Accidentally Wes Anderson" 13 Hotel Opera, Prague, Czech Republic (ca. 1891) Photo:Valentina Jacks You describe the book as something for explorers and adventurers, but it comes out at a time when we're limited as to where we can go. We love that you encourage people to see their hometown from a new perspective. Was this message a reaction to the situation we find ourselves in now, or was it a message that you had always felt was an important part of the project? A little of both. I love hearing when people have a connection to some of the places we've featured, whether it's in the Instagram feed or in the book. I smile genuinely, because these are new places for me.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Bkhairul

发表主题 1

发帖